If you can’t secure achiote paste, you may use sweet or smoked paprika as a substitute.
Dried fruit chimichurri
- Place all ingredients into a blender. Blend until all ingredients are combined.
- Combine all ingredients, reserve at room temperature.
- Make sure to remove turkey parts from the turkey. With a clean, dry kitchen towel thoroughly dry the outside and inside of the turkey. Evenly and liberally season the entire turkey including the inside cavity with sea salt and black pepper.
- Stuff the inside of the turkey with the onion, garlic, bay leaf and fresh herbs. Place turkey onto a roasting rack set in a roasting pan. Brush with tempered (room temperature) butter. Cover turkey with parchment paper and tinfoil. Roast turkey for 3 hours at 350 degrees.
- Remove parchment and tinfoil. Baste with butter and achiote rub. Increase oven temp to 450 degrees. Cook for 45 minutes or until internal temperature is 165 degrees and turkey is golden and skin is crispy. Allow 20 minutes for turkey to rest.
- Carve turkey, plate, and spoon a generous amount of dried fruit chimichurri over top.