To make the roux, heat the oil on medium high in a cast-iron skillet or pan. Start adding flour a little bit at a time. Stir continuously for 20-25 minutes until the roux is a dark praline brown. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Press the ‘sauté’ option on your Instant Pot.
- Season turkey pieces with ½ tsp of salt and ½ tsp of pepper.
- Pour 1 Tbsp olive oil in Instant Pot. Ensure to coat oil over the whole bottom of the pot. Place the six turkey pieces. Brown both sides by cooking each side for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the remaining olive oil.
- Add onion, peppers, celery, okra and garlic.
- Sauté for 2 minutes and then add tomatoes.
- Add broth, paprika, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Close lid and pressure-cook at high pressure for 7 minutes, then 15 minutes natural release.
- After 15 minutes, turn the venting knob to release the remaining pressure.
- Remove turkey pieces from the Instant Pot and shred the meat slightly. Add the shredded meat and roux back into the Gumbo and give it a quick stir. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and cayenne pepper.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately as soup or with rice