NOTE: This crust is fairly thick in a 14 inch pan, but lovely and soft. If you prefer a thinner crust you can easily make 2 smaller round pizzas or roll the dough out on to an oblong shape on a baking sheet. Just increase toppings by 50% if the pizza is bigger.
- Pour the one cup water in a bowl, add the sugar and then sprinkle the yeast over.
- Set aside for a few minutes – it'll look a little foamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and knead for a few minutes to combine well. Place in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover it with a cloth and put in a warm space for fifteen minutes to make rolling it out easier.
- Prep the pan by laying down parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal, or lightly greasing the pan.
- Roll the dough out to desired shape – oblong for a baking sheet, round for a pizza pan, or 2 individual 9 inch pizzas (increase quantities of toppings by 50% in this case).
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Top the pizza with sauce, spreading evenly.
- Scatter half the cheese on the pizza, then the other toppings, then the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pizza is golden and bubbly. When it is almost done, pull it out and lightly brush the crust with melted butter.