For more flavour, add a star anise to the sauce while simmering.
- In a small pot, heat 1 tbsp of oil on low heat and fry ginger until fragrant. Add ketchup to pot and cook until caramelized (around 1 min), stir constantly. Add vinegar and sugar to the pot and reduce until thickened.
- While the sauce is reducing, cut the deboned turkey thigh into 1 inch cubes.
- Combine egg, water, salt, pepper and flour to form a light batter.
- In a wok (or dutch oven) filled with 2-3 inches of canola oil, heat oil to 350°F. Dip and coat each turkey piece in batter and gently place into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F, around 5 minutes.
- Serve with sweet and sour dipping sauce.