TIP: To make a wreath shape easier you can place a cup in the middle and build the circle around it then simply remove it before putting the wreath in the oven.
- Marinade the turkey with all the marinade ingredients for at least two hours.
- When ready to cook pull it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature
- Saute the diced onion in a little oil and add the turkey pieces, sauté for 2 minutes
- Simmer covered with a splash of water until super tender, about 20 minutes. If the turkey starts to stick of burn during the cooking process add a little water.
- When tender add a tsp of cornstarch and cook on medium heat for a minute
- Now add in the remaining ingredients and mix till well combined. Taste, adjust seasoning. Let cool completely.
To make the wreath shape:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Each sheet of puff pastry makes 1 wreath. If not using pre rolled puff pastry sheets then roll your puff pastry into an approximate 10x10 sheet. If your pre rolled sheet is a little larger, just follow the instructions below and it will still work!
- Cut the puff pastry vertically into 6 strips, approximately even in size.
- Divide the strips horizontally across the middle to create 12 strips.
- Line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper.
- Place a glass or a cup in the centre and using it as your guide lay the strips out in a circular manner so that it looks like a flower, taking care to overlap the ends closer to the centre a little to seal them.
- Divide half the filling among each strip closer to the centre of the wreath. Reserve other half for second wreath.
- Then ‘close’ the puff pastry strips by angling them a little to the right as you bring them down to create a wreath shape.
- Continue closing all the strips until you have a wreath shape. If the puff pastry has bunched up in the middle you can trim it out with a knife or simply use a glass or a cup to cut the excess out.
- Brush wreath well with the egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 25-30 minutes until evenly golden brown.
- Repeat the steps with the second sheet of puff pastry to make second wreath.
- These wreaths reheat beautifully, you can make them in advance and just pop them in the oven at 325 for 8-10 minutes.
TIP: To make a wreath shape easier you can place anything circular in the middle and build the circle around it then simply remove it before putting the wreath in the oven.