Get Creative With Your Spice Rub! Feel free to get creative with your spice rub and come up with your own custom blend. Need some inspiration? You could add chili powder, BBQ spice, cumin, jerk or Mediterranean spices to switch it up.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Set aside. This step can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- Toast slivered almonds in a fry pan over low heat until browned. Cool.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 4 minutes. Add garlic.
- Cook until softened and translucent, an additional 2-4 minutes. Let cool.
- Roughly combine wild rice, basmati rice, chick peas, almonds, cherries and onion-celery mixture.
- Set aside until you are ready to stuff bird.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix to form a dry paste.
- Set aside.
- Make sure turkey is thawed and giblets and neck have been removed.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Pat the bird dry with paper towels.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan.
- Rub the turkey generously with spice rub, inside and out.
- Stuff the turkey loosely with stuffing.
- Tuck both wing tips under the breast and tie the legs together.
- Add the turkey broth to the pan.
- Roast the turkey for 4 – 4 ½ hours, until the juices run clear and an instant thermometer reads 170°F in the breast, 180°F in the thigh, and the stuffing reaches 165°F.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
NOTE: Cooking times are for planning purposes only – always use a digital meat thermometer to determine doneness.