TIP: 1. If you don’t have a smoker, feel free to use a gas grill, and cook the Turkey Meatballs till until internal temp is reached. 2. For the Turkey Meatballs, put them in the freezer for 30-45 min before grilling to help solidify them. This helps to hold their shape hem together while cooking. 3. When you are about to grill the Turkey Meatballs, place them on a Baking Cooling rack ( fine mesh rack ) to allow them to sit nicely on the grill. This is so they don’t get lost on the grill separations. Remember to spray the rack with non stick spray to make it easier to remove them!
Prep time: 20 min (+1 hour resting)
- Start by taking all of the Meatball ingredients and mix them into a nonreactive bowl. Make sure to incorporate it very well, but try not to over mix the ground turkey. You want that grind to stay coarse. Allow to rest for 1 hour in the fridge to let the flavours come together.
- Using a small dough scoop, or a spoon, divide the Turkey mixture and form into roughly 30 Meatballs. Set on a baking tray to organize. (see tip).
- Preheat your smoker to 300 F and allow to come to temperature. Once the grill is ready, place your Turkey Meatballs on the grill and allow to smoke for 45-60 min. Internal temp of the Turkey Meatballs should be 165 F when done. Remove from the grill and set aside on a plate to rest.
- Preheat the smoker to 400 F and begin to build your Turkey Meatball Flatbreads!
- Start by putting a layer of the BBQ sauce on the flatbread, then a layer of Mozzarella. Place your Turkey Meatballs on next, followed by the Red Onion, Green Onion and Green Peppers. Place on the preheated grill and allow to cook for 15-20 min. You want the cheese to be melty and the flatbreads to crisp up.
- Once that is done, remove from the grill and finish the Turkey Meatball Flatbreads with a drizzle of BBQ sauce, Parsley and Rosemary!