• To test the oil temperature, dip a bamboo chopstick into the oil and look for bubbles • Make sure the oil is at the right temperature before frying or the eggplant will soak up too much oil • Make sure the sauce is well combined before adding to the wok to avoid clumps • For the red chili oil, you can use a store bought version or try this recipe https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-chili-oil/
- Add the cornstarch, water, rice wine, red chili oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, spicy bean paste (if using), sesame oil and crushed Sichuan peppercorn into large a cup and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat the 1½ cups canola oil to 300 degrees F and fry eggplant until golden brown, remove and drain excess oil.
- Heat wok on high and add 1 tbsp canola oil, when the oil begins to smoke, add the ground turkey and stir fry
- When turkey is 3/4 cooked, add minced garlic and chillies and stir fry until fully cooked
- Turn the heat to medium, add eggplant and sauce. Cook, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Top with cilantro and green onion, serve with rice