This soup freezes well and is a great recipe to make in advance. Once cooked and cooled, store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Place turkey, water, onion and bay leaves into a large stockpot.
- Add 4 L of water. Ensure the water covers the turkey by a few inches, adding more if necessary.
- Add the onion and the bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil. Add salt.
- Lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for a minimum 1 hr. up to 2 hrs.
- Remove the turkey.
- Discard the onion and the bay leaf.
- Remove the turkey meat from the bones. Break up into large chunks and add back into the stock.
- Optional - add the Guascas. This is a typical Colombian herb mix that can be found in South American markets.
- Add the potatoes and gently simmer on low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the corn and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
- Add the peas, green onions and capers.
- Garnish the soup with crème fraiche and cilantro. If you don’t have crème fraiche on hand, sour cream may be used as a substitute.
- Traditionally served with avocado and rice on the side.