TIP: Batch-cook this dish (excluding eggs) up to 3 days ahead for a quick start to breakfast. Turn it into a hearty lunch by serving with two hard-boiled eggs instead.
- Cook lentils according to package instructions.
- While lentils are cooking, heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Remove sausage from casings.
- Add onions, sausage and squash to pan and cook through, 10 - 12 minutes. Break up sausage into chunks while cooking.
- Add zucchini and peppers and cook an additional 3 - 5 minutes until zucchini and peppers are browned and softened.
- Add seasonings and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in lentils.
- To serve, top with fried eggs.