Guava Guajillo Chile BBQ Sauce
- In a small pot melt the butter and add the hot sauce and stir.
- Place the needle of the syringe into the melted butter mixture and pull up on plunger to fill the chamber. Take the needle of the syringe and insert into the middle of turkey tenderloin.
- Tip: Keep the tenderloins icy cold so that when the butter is injected into the meat it begins to harden. Inject about 1 oz of hot butter into each turkey tenderloin.
- Brush each turkey tenderloin with the melted butter mixture and season liberally with your favourite BBQ seasoning, making sure to coat the entire surface of the tenderloin.
- Place on parchment paper and refrigerate, allowing the butter to harden.
- Soak the Guajillo chile pods in warm water for 15-20 minute until they are re-hydrated and soft.
- Remove the soaked chiles from water, reserving water. Carefully remove the seeds from the soaked Guajillo chiles and coarsely chop chiles before placing into a medium saucepot. Add the reserved Guajillo chile infused water, guava paste, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, tomato paste, tequila, brown sugar, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and oregano. Bring to a soft boil over medium to medium high heat stirring occasionally to keep from burning. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a blender puree the sauce until smooth. Add honey and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir and set aside, keeping warm.
: The sauce should be pourable. If it has become too thick, thin it with some water. Serve hot or cold.
- Fire up your grill to 450° F (235°C).
- Place the spiced, injected tenderloins directly onto the hot grill and char for 6-8 minutes, watching for flare-ups as the butter injection melts and oozes. Flip them over and baste tenderloins with reserved Guava Guajillo chile BBQ sauce until the tenderloins are fully cooked, internal temperature of 160°F (70°C) and the sauce is sticky (approx. 6-8 minutes). Remove from the grill.
- Slice the turkey tenderloins on the bias and serve immediately drizzled with extra BBQ sauce.