TIP: This casserole will feed a crowd, so it is a perfect meal to serve up at a holiday get-together or potluck with friends.
- In large shallow saucepan heat oil over medium high heat.
- Cook onion and garlic for about 3 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add turkey, parsley, cinnamon and allspice; cook, stirring to break up turkey for about 8 minutes or until browned.
- Add tomato puree, turkey stock, salt and pepper; simmer about 10 minutes or until starting to thicken.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Stir egg whites and 1 cup (250 mL) of the Parmesan cheese into the macaroni.
- Spread half of the macaroni mixture into a deep 11 x 17 inch (28 cm x 43 cm) greased casserole dish.
- Spread with 1 cup (250 mL) of the béchamel sauce. Spread evenly with all of the turkey mixture.
- Top with remaining macaroni mixture and press to flatten.
- Pour with remaining béchamel sauce and smooth evenly to coat top well. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbly.
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking for about 10 minutes or until starting to thicken and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks and nutmeg.