If you love the recipe but want to switch it up, try subbing turkey thighs into this recipe.
- Combine water, ¼ cup poultry rub, bay leaves and sugar in a large bowl. Place the turkey legs into the brine solution (ensuring all are submerged in the brine) and refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Take legs out of the brine and drain with a cooling rack. Use a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Preheat smoker to 275⁰ for indirect cooking with pecan wood (can use hickory as a substitute).
- Coat each leg with olive oil spray and season with the rest of the poultry rub and a pinch of BBQ rub.
- Add to the smoker and cook until internal temperature reaches 155⁰ F.
- Coat each turkey leg with the vinegar sauce and keep cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165⁰ F.
- Remove from smoker and let rest for 10 minutes before digging in!