You can make this barley bowl at home with any mixture of fresh, pickled and cooked vegetables you have on hand, just use barley as the base, and the dress-ing and meatballs as your takeoff point.
- Using your hands combine ground turkey, 100g of the feta cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Once the mixture is well incorporated, form small meatballs by rolling approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture between your palms.
- Set a frying pan to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil to heat. Add the turkey feta meatballs and fry for 2-3 minutes before turning them all with tongs. Do this until the meatballs are sealed and cooked through, about 9-12 minutes. Test by cutting through one meatball. Set meatballs aside.
- In a small saucepan bring white vinegar to a boil, then remove from heat. Place radishes in a mason jar and pour the vinegar over them. Let sit.
- In the same frying pan, fry kale for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, until tender and some pieces crisp up. Set aside.
- In a high-powered blender emulsify avocado, garlic, lemon juice, salt and olive oil. The dressing should be rich and thick, but thin enough to be poured. If it’s too thick add 1-2 tablespoons of water at a time, and blend until it’s at a desired thickness. Set aside.
- In a small bowl drizzle cabbage with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with salt, and massage with hands until tender. Set aside.
- Fill 4 bowls with equal amounts of barley, drizzle with avocado dressing then garnish with turkey feta meatballs, tomatoes, pickled radish, kale, cabbage and pea shoots. Add more dressing to the top if desired.